Camp Verde Grammar School, c. 1914
ADA Accessibility Notes
The local school district superintendent laid the stones for this three-room grammar school building in 1914. He completed the structure during summer breaks. It was the first school building in Camp Verde. Constructed of hand-milled limestone dug from a local quarry, the Colonial Revival structure also features a vintage tin ceiling and original wood floors. Note the metal rosettes on the iron lintels, and the wooden shakes on the porch gable end.
Today, the Camp Verde Grammar School building serves as the home of the Camp Verde Historical Society Museum and Research Center, as well as the Camp Verde Visitor Center. Tour the Society's collection of local ephemera and Native American artifacts, browse the library, schedule a research session, or visit with resident old-timers to learn more about Camp Verde's early days, as well as some of the area's Native American history. Visit the adjoining Visitor Center to learn about the area and its many attractions.
Time Period Represented
8 AM - 5 PM