Friends of Verde River Greenway
Friends of Verde River Greenway (FVRG) is a non-profit 501 (c) established to restore, preserve and promote the natural, cultural, scenic and recreational resources of the Verde River and its tributaries.
FVRG believes that as one of Arizona’s last free-flowing river system, the Verde River and its tributaries are an environmental and cultural treasure for the Verde Valley and beyond. FVRG also believes the Verde River and its tributaries are an economic driver for our local communities.
Established as a Friends group with AZ State Parks, FVRG works closely with our local State Park partner, Deadhorse Ranch State Park and the Verde River Greenway State Natural Area. FVRG also embraces the value of a healthy Verde Watershed, a vast area that includes National Forests, National Parks, AZ State Parks, local municipalities and private land ownership.
Through our collaborative, partner-driven programs, FVRG envisions a free-flowing river that will benefit our communities for generations to come.
Our "boots-on-the-ground" programs in the areas of habitat and flow restoration, recreation, community outreach and volunteerism.
• Lead non-profit of the Verde Watershed Restoration Coalition a public private partnership tasked with developing and implementing a collaborative approach to invasive plant management on public and private land throughout the Verde Watershed
• Partner with The Vetraplex to employ local veterans in the field of riparian habitat restoration
• Partner with the Arizona Conservation to employ young adults in the field of riparian habitat restoration
• Partner with 20 federal, state, local and non-profits entities to fund to implement habitat improvement projects
• Partner with more than 200 private landowners to implement riparian habitat improvement plans throughout the Verde Watershed
• Coordinate the development of a 200 acre on-farm drip irrigation plan to decrease water use and return flow directly to the river
• Present to community groups and the general public to increase the appreciation of the Verde River and its tributaries
• Generate thousands of volunteer hours toward on-the-ground projects
• Partner with AZ State Parks and local municipalities to build greenway trails improving recreational access to the Verde River
• Partner with Yavapai County Adult Probation program greatly enhancing long term maintenance on public land projects while educating probationers about the value of riparian habitat
• Facilitate the Cross Watershed Network initiative bringing together watershed groups from throughout the southwest to share on-the-ground solutions to improve restoration techniques
How to Support
To learn more about our programs and how to be involved visit our website at: www.verderivergreenway.org